News Release Article from
Archived - Agrium Western Event Centre Opens its Doors
Residents and visitors to benefit from new state-of-the-art facility, made possible thanks to government and private support
June 21, 2014 – Calgary, Alberta – Infrastructure Canada
Representatives from the federal and provincial governments, the Calgary Stampede and Agrium joined thousands of spectators to celebrate today's official opening of the highly anticipated Agrium Western Event Centre in the heart of Stampede Park.
The Agrium Centre is a one-of-a-kind facility in Canada and a significant infrastructure project in Stampede history. The ultra-modern centerpiece for western events, exhibitions and sustainable agriculture education is tailored for the needs of animals and western events, creating one of the most unique agricultural showcases in the world.
Building construction began two years ago for the 2,500-seat livestock-ready arena and 20,000 sq. ft. multi-purpose exhibit space. Now complete, this is the final piece of a $61.2 million Agricultural Discovery Zone infrastructure investment that includes enhancements to the Agriculture Building and a reconfigured track and new infield tunnel access for livestock transportation.
The Agrium Centre will host national and international events and competitions, with the upcoming fall season already filling up with exciting events, including the Arabian Association Region Championships, Team Roping Canadian Finals, Grassroots Finals Rodeo and Royal West.
- The Government of Canada contributed $25 million toward this project through the Building Canada Fund – Major Infrastructure Component.
- The Government of Alberta also contributed $25 million toward this project.
- Agrium and other donors, through the Calgary Stampede, contributed over $11.2 million for a project total of close to $61.2 million.
"The new Agrium Western Event Centre will promote the local economy by showcasing Western Canadian heritage with renowned events like the Calgary Stampede. Thanks to our Government's investments in infrastructure, and through the New Building Canada Plan, we will continue creating jobs, promoting growth, and building strong, prosperous communities across Canada."
- The Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification and Member of Parliament for Calgary Centre—North
"The Calgary Stampede is a world-class event, attracting millions of visitors from all over the world. As the largest facility of its kind in Canada, the new Agrium Western Event Centre will be an incredible venue for education, entertainment and to showcase our agriculture industry."
- The Honourable Verlyn Olson, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Government of Alberta
"This marks a historic day in the Calgary Stampede's vision to create a year-round gathering place. The Agrium Western Event Centre is where urban and rural audiences can connect all year."
- Bob Thompson, President and Chairman of the Board, Calgary Stampede
"We're thrilled to be part of making the Agrium Western Event Centre a reality at the Calgary Stampede.This is a place to celebrate agriculture and to learn about sustainable farming practices, through the Journey 2050 program, as we work to feed 9 billion people globally by 2050."
- Chuck Magro, President and CEO of Agrium
- Construction to begin on Agrium Western Event Centre
- Stunning new bronze sculpture "By the Banks of the Bow" to become major landmark at The Calgary Stampede
- New Tunnel and Reconfigured Track Make Moving Livestock and People Easier at Calgary Stampede Park
- To learn more about the 2007 Building Canada Fund – Major Infrastructure Component
- For more information regarding the Agrium Western Event Centre and upcoming events
- For more information regarding Journey 2050 program
- For additional information on the New Building Canada Plan
- To learn more about the Government of Canada's focus on jobs and the economy consult Canada's Economic Action Plan
Office of the Minister of Infrastructure, Communities and Intergovernmental Affairs and
Minister of the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec
Agriculture and Rural Development
Government of Alberta
Search for related information by keyword
Infrastructure Canada History and Archaeology Government and Politics Economics and Industry Economic Action Plan Agriculture
- Date modified: